3rd Place at Men’s Indoor IVs 2018!
20/11/2018 | Well done to the lads at Men’s Indoors in DCU – both teams finished in the Top 10, an impressive achievement!
Final placing: 3rd
UCC 1 came out strong and were hoping to set up a final versus TCD 1, however a slow start in their first game against UL 1 would cost them in the group
stages. The team smashed through their other group
games and the quarterfinal, only to meet TCD 1 in the
semifinal. After an incredibly intense game TCD won
on universe point, which put UCC out of the final.
UCC 1 went on to redeem themselves for the earlier
loss by beating UL to take 3rd place!
A summary of the weekend by Andrew McGovern:
“UCC 1 began their intervarsity’s against UL. UL brought a squad with experience ranging from players experiencing their first indoor first team call ups to a player on the senior Ireland team. UCC 1 weren’t able to bring the right intensity and lost out to UL (6-8). UCC 1 gathered themselves for the next match and showed their chemistry and intensity taking down NUIG 1 (12-4) and MU 1 (15-4). This meant that UCC 1 had gotten a quarter final versus DIT. UCC kept up the standard they had played against NUIG and MU and took down DIT (12-4) to get into the semi-final.
This meant UCC 1 would meet TCD 1 in the semi-final. This match was expected to be the final but due to UCC 1s loss against UL we met in the semi. This game has a lot of history behind it. Three years ago in outdoors UCC met TCD in the semi-final and took them down and went onto win tournament, two years ago TCD took down UCC in the final and last year UCC 1 took down TCD in the semi final and UCC went onto win it. There was certainly a feeling in the air that the winner of this match would win the tournament. It was a brilliant game of indoor ultimate with excellent spirit as well. UCC and TCD traded until about 4-4, then TCD took the lead to 7-5. UCC fought hard to bring it back to 8-8 game to 9 but sadly lost it in the end (8-9).
UCC ended taking 3rd place getting redemption against UL taking them down (8-3). TCD went onto win the tournament 11-6 aganst DCU. UCC 1 scored the most against TCD and gave them the tightest match. After UCC 1 our second team scored the next most points against them putting 7 past them in the group stage. UCC can come away from the tournament proud of how our squads played and excited to bring our teams together for the outdoor season.”
Final placing: 10th
MVP: Denis Galvin
MSP: Jack Wall
UCC 2 finished as one of only two 2nd teams in the Top 10! The team managed to hold on to their seeding on Saturday but unfortunately lost their crossover against a very focused DIT and slipped into the plate division. UCC 2 won their next game but sadly lost the plate final to TCD 2 to take a very respectable 10th place.
A summary of the weekend by Jack Wall:
- UCC 2 started out in pool B against Trinity 1
- The start went UCC’s way with them going 3-1 up.
- Trinity got into their groove after and slotted in a few crucial points to run away with the game.
- vs DCU 1
- This game was a very tight game, with a lot of well discussed calls in heated moments for the battle for 2nd place in group B, which would have avoided the winner with no crossover.
- DCU came out on top with amazing handler movement.
- vs Trinity 2
- This match was the battle of second teams. The loser would go into a crossover against UCD 1 which no one wanted, so the stakes were high.
- Point for point we went back and forth but a with a few timely breaks, we came out with the win.
- vs DIT
- Their focus and intensity was through the roof.
- They quickly gained a three point lead and by the time we gathered ourselves, we went point for point to the end of the game, and were dealt another loss.
- Semifinal for plate vs UL 2
- UL 2 were a very energetic team and really ran us to the very end
- They were a few beginners on that team, but it really didn’t show as it seemed like they had the throws which pushed us to our limits.
- Fortunately, we came out on top.
- Final for plate vs Trinity 2
- Since we both lost our crossovers, us and Trinity 2 were placed in the bottom bracket, but we’re sure to win our semis and meet again in the final of the plate for 9th place
- It started out with us going back and forth with no breaks.
- Once or twice, their zone broke us and every time we clawed a point back, they quickly responded with a break to answer.
- It was 5-8 when we were given the information that it was a game to 9.
- After a long point with a few calls, we scored to bring it to 6-8.
- We remained optimistic but another long and gruesome point later, Trinity scored their final point to win the game.
- It really was an amazingly enjoyable tournament with great points, tight games, and some great fun all round. But only one thought in everyone’s mind.. roll on outdoors!!